Wednesday 21 August 2013

Hello ammonite!

Thought I'd share an image of Chameleon, as he is so far:


I don't know if you can tell, but the navy wool is SPARKLY.  (Actually, this was the whole reason behind choosing to do a chameleon.)  Unfortunately, this means he'll only be cleverly camouflaged in a disco-ball factory.

Am still a bit unsure about the colours I've chosen, but there is no going back now.  It's taken me 5 weeks to get to this stage!  I chose to work from the tail backwards along the animal, because the tail is super fiddly to work and I didn't want to be swearing at it with the weight of the whole toy hanging from it.  Plus, the tail was the unknown quantity for me in this pattern. 

I estimate there are over 200 yarn breaks/changes in the tail alone, so this isn't a pattern to make for a relaxing time.  But what price beauty?  Actually, you'd have an easier life if you made the toy in a self-striping wool, but I wanted to make sure that my instructions placed colour changes in the right places, so I took the rough road.  Hey-ho.

Chameleon or Ammonite, you decide ;-)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the shout-out! LOVE the chameleon pattern!

    ReplyDelete