This has to be the quickest time I've finished a project ever! The hat was finished last night (Tuesday), and I only started it on Sunday afternoon. I guess I was spurred on by the sunny weather and tiny alternative hat. That, and the amazing >1 hour nap that baby took yesterday. It's amazing what you can do in an hour if your baby actually sleeps when the pram is stationary!
The pattern was from Oliver + S (see here). I made size "small" (19" head) and it fits quite well now; hopefully it will last at least a few months. It is quite a nice shape: some hats can be a bit peculiar, but this one isn't.
The pattern gets you to machine together the two hat-tops (like funny brimless caps), then you create the brim. Next, you machine one of the caps to the brim. The final cap is supposed to be hand-stitched on. I did this, but it's quite a faff. I think you could totally machine it on with the following method:
- Make the two caps and brim as the pattern suggests.
- Baste one of the caps to the brim, using just less than the 1/2" seam allowance. This is just like the original directions but using a bit less seam allowance.
- Pin the other cap around the same seam. For this, you'll need the caps right-side together and the brim all squished up and caught between them.
- Machine all around with a 1/2" seam allowance, leaving a gap of a few inches for turning right-side out. This seam line will mean your basting-on of the first cap won't show on the outside of the hat.
- Trim and turn out. Hand stitch the gap closed on both sides. (One side won't technically be a "gap", but it'll be basted at a slightly different distance than the rest of the seam, so you'll still need to hand-sew to fix that.)
The hat is reversible, but I prefer the spotty side. You don't get a photo of it on the model because he's napping again. Amazing!